Old 11-02-08, 11:19 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinpolitico
I agree on the smaller wheels being stronger, but as I have to disagree with the handling statement. Smaller wheels are twitchier, but you can get used to it. I've also found they are considerably less twitchy under load, which makes them fine for a cargo bike.

As for a cago bike in a hatchback, the whole reason I want a cargo bike is to not own a car in any way, so I'm not sure the usefulness of a folder carries over to the application of cargo bike.
I have two bikes, a Marin hybrid with 700c wheels and an old, Sears Tote/Cycle with 20" wheels that splits apart in the center. Of the two, the Tote/Cycle gives a more stable ride, is far less "twitchy" and handles pretty much the same whether I've loaded it up or not. Based on my limited experience, I find small wheels no more twitchy than larger one, or at least there are other factors that can effect handling much more then wheel size.

I can see where a folding cargo bike would have limited utility, or would appeal to a smaller cross-section of people, but can still see that it might be quite useful to some. I don't plan on getting a cargo bike in the near future because I live in an apartment, and it's already a little crowded in here. A folding cargo bike could be stashed somewhere and only taken out for the rare occasions when I need to haul more than I can carry on my other bike. We're also not car-free here, and occasionally I've found it useful to split my Tote/Cycle in two and toss it in the car. I think that's a very useful aspect of my bike even though it goes for weeks, sometimes months, without being split.

Definitely a cool idea. And a folding cargo bike might be the work around I need to get a cargo bike into the apartment. Although what I'd really like to see is not a folding bike with an Xtra-Cycle attachement, because that seems like it would create an awkward, less useful, fold. I'd like a folding bike that was designed as a cargo bike that was made to fold more efficiently.