Old 11-02-08, 03:28 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanis
Does having two speeds justifies the higher cost and weight of the dual-speed model? I was just investigating and it appears I could get a single-speed CarryMe for $450 (including shipping), where as the dual-speed is almost $900. That's a huge price leap.

Also, does anyone in the NYC area ride a CarryMe (single- or dual-speed)? If so, PM me; I'd like to try one out. Thanks!
Not sure why the "09" dual-speed Carrymes are so expensive, but the "08" bikes have the same spec and most shops are selling those for $695.

Also it looks like forum member and NYC local Joako is selling his singlespeed version on ebay for $425. Maybe you can arrange a test ride and if you use the 25% off live.com ebay coupon it looks like you could take it home for $320.

Still a big price difference because of the ebay coupon, but if you're looking to do your 10 mile commute on the smooth greenway then I'd think the high gear would be worth it at $695. I'm thinking about upgrading myself.

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
I love the Schlumpf Speed Drives and have them mounted to a number of bikes... Having a 2 speed Carryme, I would say that the gearing in overdrive is too high for casual use.. the single speed bike as designed, with a 48 gear inch ratio is fine for the intended purpose and speed capabilities.. going to overdrive and near 80" I feel is overkill... the new 2spd Strida has a similar range with a top end a bit lower at 76.7 GI .. but, running the Strida on 16" tires like the Schwalbe Big Apples will surely provide less puckerupedness at the higher speeds.
Have you ridden any other Carrymes Bruce? Because I felt a lot of resistance on the 2-speed one I tried compared to my front freewheeling single speed version (in both gears and when backpedaling) and I'm trying to figure out where to place the blame (speed-drive, rear freewheel, higher gearing, shorter cranks, maladjustment, or a combination).