View Single Post
Old 11-02-08, 10:02 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daaxix
I used duplicolor high heat engine enamel spray paint. You can get this at the auto parts store. I have found it to be fairly durable. I applied many coats, with a primer first. I used masking tape and plastic to apply the different colors.

I would be careful of dust and dirt in the paint. First, as in the Part 1 thread, you must clean the frame very well. There should not be any dirt, oil, or sticker residue on the frame. Then, when painting, be careful about dust etc. contaminating the paint.
So I talked to a couple people about painting a frame, they all told me to get it professionally done. Guess there's a guy in Oakland that will paint a frame ANY color for $90. Sounds like a solid deal. If I did a rattle job it would look cool at first, but after a month it would look like hell. I'll post before and after pics of the bike when I get it done, I'm looking within the month. If you guys were to paint a bike one solid color, what would it be? I'm pretty set on a nice classy silver to match the components, but I'm open for suggestions.