View Single Post
Old 11-03-08, 04:42 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I'd have to say his use of the term "forced" and his mention of speed, was an indication of his displeasure at the delay, however small it was. Here he was basically acting the part of any other typical motorist that expects to "own the road."

Motorists should have no expectation of being able to drive the speed LIMIT... it is a LIMIT, not the desired speed, not the approved speed, not the desired speed and certainly not the minimum (as many treat it). His having to drive at 15MPH was no big deal... yet he perceived that he was "forced" to do so, by someone that was in his own words "inconsiderate."
Context:

"This weekend, my wife and I met up with three bicycle-insect creatures. I knew we were in for a treat when the first peeled off through two lanes of traffic without signaling.

The other two were heading in the same direction we were. I had plenty of time to contemplate their spandex butts as they careened down the narrow road two abreast, taking up an entire traffic lane. They suddenly slowed down to kiss. It had all the charm of houseflies mating in mid-air. The one without the helmet veered into the other lane, causing traffic in the other direction to stop and preventing us from passing."

Sorry but if they are behind anyone without a safe way of passing, they are forced to watch. Or should they have looked away? I took it as saying they were forced to watch, not forced to do 15mph. I did not read typical "I'm in a car, I'm in the right" into this story, which is one of the reasons I thought it so atypical in the first place and posted it here.

Let's go the other way with this--what makes you doubt his claims that the delay was not the biggest issue here, that it was actual boneheaded actions of the cyclists that prompted this? Typical A&S motorist projections?