View Single Post
Old 11-04-08, 09:25 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Many (most?) experts seem to think clipless pedals are the only way to go, causing one to decide on whether to go with Look-type pedals which involve shoes unsuitable for walking, which necessitates a second pair of shoes; or SPD type pedals, which can involve more-comfortable shoes, but still probably necessitate a second pair.

Maybe so, but I've made a different choice and it works for me. I tour with platform pedals and running shoes. I'm happy with how it works for riding, but I'm especially happy with having comfortable running shoes to wear off the bike, and I'm also pleased with the fact that I only have to bring one pair of shoes on tour, saving a worthwhile amount of weight. My running shoes are very light, and since I wear size 14s, my second pair of shoes might be heavier than yours.

Before each tour I buy a brand new pair of runners. I love how a new pair of quality running shoes feels on my feet - comfortable, cushiony, and light. I don't skimp; I buy expensive ones. It makes me happy! If I ever have enough energy for a walk or a hike after a day's ride, I'm going to have comfortable feet!

Of course, when you only bring one pair of shoes it behooves you to keep them dry if possible. There are no dry shoes to put on. I have waterproof shoe covers from MEC that work great, and I try not to step in puddles around camp.

That's one way to do it and it works for me. I'm not saying people who advocate clipless pedals and that whole system are wrong, I'm just saying that my way might be a good choice for some.