Old 11-05-08, 08:21 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dheorl
Seriously though, I'm genuinly curious now. What is stopping all this bad stuff that happens to rim brakes happening to disc brakes.
Materials. See above.

Originally Posted by Dheorl
Also if you experience proper freezing rain then why don't you get ice on the discs?
I'm going to guess two reasons. First,there's alot more clamping force involved with disc brakes. The braking surface is considerably smaller and much closer to the center of the wheel's rotation,so the calipers need to clamp harder to achieve the same level of braking performance as rims. This harder clamping prolly helps strip any ice build-up off. Second,disc rotors hold heat better than rims. Smaller surface area to radiate heat,plus it's partially blocked from the airflow by the rim/tire,and stainless holds heat in better than alum. All I know is,I've ridden in freezing rain/sleet and never had any probs with my discs.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X