View Single Post
Old 11-05-08, 11:02 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DuckFat
Blasphemy! I call shenanigans. Brooks are carried on clouds by angels from heaven and none have ever broken or given anyone trouble of any kind. Be gone heretic!
One of the funniest commentaries I've ever read on Brooks saddles. From FatCyclist.com:

"Brooks saddles. There’s your solution, Fatty. I think the light one weighs only about a pounds, although for mountain biking you probably want the three pounder that comes with springs. It looks very well engineered, in a ‘34 Shoebox Ford / steel trestle bridge kind of way and it’s kind of wide - maybe not super efficient but one of your skinny friends could probably sit beside you on the seat as you hammer through Leadville. It breaks in within three or four months of heavy use, so that won’t be an issue for you, plus the oozing from the blisters will help soften the leather up faster. Now, you’ll need to get the waxed cotton bag that goes over the seat if it rains or if you are sweating profusely - wouldn’t want to turn that nice leather into mush. And, if it starts to sag in the middle, you just use the wrench to tighten it back up. Don’t overtighten or you wreck the last! And every so often you can put on some proofride, which will help preserve the leather from rot, sweat damage, rain damage, and leather fatigue.

Dang, no doubt about it. A Brooks saddle would definitely be the answer to your troubles. And while we’re at it, let me explain to you why the original Campagnolo Double Parallelogram rear derailer is better than SRAM Red…"