Old 11-07-08, 07:04 PM
spaceballs

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Messenger bag comparison

I have been commuting to school for about four months now, so I am by no means an expert.

I started by throwing a bag in a milk crate, but I got tired of that quickly. It was unwieldy, and the heavier the cargo, the harder it was to keep the bike straight.

So I started carrying just a messenger bag. I carried a Timbuk2 large bag; I had this one before I started riding, so that should tell you something. It worked pretty well, if everything was cinched down very tightly. Even if things were tight, the bad would still slide around; if the bag had much in it at all, it became uncomfortable. Not because of the weight, but because of how the bag is shaped. The bag is well made, and is well organized - lots of pockets for pens, pencils, tools, etc. It made a great school/work bag.

I read Seagull was well regarded here, so I ordered their Black Bag. It was reasonably priced [$100 or so] and as far as a bag made for riding with, this is far superior. The bag doesn't move, and it is easy to adjust. I don't have to feel choked for the bag to ride well. Unfortunately, the pockets and organization on this bag aren't as convenient as the Timbuk2. This bag is beefier than than the Timbuk2, and for less money.

Part of me is confused as to whether or not to go with the convenient school bag, which works well a lot of the time, or to go with the superior real messenger bag. I am sure I am not the first to run into this dilemma. Any thoughts?

I know that panniers are probably the best option for carrying a lot of weight, but they aren't as convenient.