Old 11-08-08, 06:32 AM
Berre

Bikes: commuter, racer, ATB,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koga Miyata restored

This week I finished restoring my wife's Koga Miyata for which I bought a set of (original), rather expensive decals.

Now here's my problem: I have no experience whatsoever on applying decals; I really would hate to spoil them. The official KOGA dealer who sold them to me could not help me out. He has never applied decals himself.

Google got me confused. I understand different sorts of decals exist; all needing a different approach and different handling.

My set of Koga decals looks like the "wet" type to me, but I could be wrong. They show like "mirror" view, though the side that should be in contact with the frame is not sticky. Unlike vinyl stickers, there is no layer to be peeled off.

The (paper) back side has cross marks for alignment printed on. Is there a way to find out what I am dealing with?

I wonder how they should be transferred. Should they be soaked first? Should they stay on the paper layer while transferring? Can they be slided to the correct position while wet? Or should they land on the right spot from the first attempt?

The top tube decal is about 15 inch long and it looks complicated. That one may prove to be very tricky to the decal newbie that I am.

Finally, I wonder if I should spray a layer of clear coat, as far as I ever may arrive at transferring them.

Any help or info will be very much appreciated.