View Single Post
Old 11-09-08, 09:07 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwmeabone
Okay I unlaced the wheel. I pushed the rim up next to a wall and it seems flat so that's good news.

I noticed on the hub that some of the holes seem stretched out. Will it be okay to reuse that hub? Here's a picture:

That's normal for a used hub. When you rebuild, orient the spokes to use the same orientation they had before.

In regards to using tone to get insight on spoke tension: while you're truing and rounding the wheel, you can use tone to decide which spokes to loosen, and which spokes to tighten, in order to perform the correction you're working on at the moment. For example, if the rim weaves left, see if there's an extra-tight spoke on the left side at that point, and/or an extra-loose spoke on the right side at that point, and try to even them up relative to their closest "flange-mates." If the rim dips radially, you can use tone to look for extra-tight spokes that need to be backed down. Vice versa for radial hops. So you gradually home in on balanced tension, as part of the truing/rounding process.

Don't expect the tone to match perfectly among all the spokes on each side, especially not after the rim's been warped like that.

Last edited by mechBgon; 11-09-08 at 09:10 PM.