bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi bokes,

I currently ride an '06 Speed P8 and am considering a Pocket Llama (as I understand it, this is basically a NWT, but able to fit larger wheels); may I ask what it is that you think makes the BF more fun to ride? Thanks!

Terry
I'm sure you'll get different answers to that question, but for me it is the ride quality.

Think of it this way ... Have you ever ridden a low quality bike, maybe one sold at a discount department store? Then went and rode your first Bike Shop quality bike. How was the difference? To me it was a HUGE difference. My average speed went from about 10 mph to 15 mph instantly and I did not work near as hard.

That is what the difference is to me.

When I decided to invest in my first folder, I had already been riding for 10 years and had two full sized, good quality bikes. I was a bit unsure about what to expect with a folder, so I tried several. The quality of the Bike-Friday was immediately evident. That was for a basic, low-end bike friday model called the "Metro". It was at that time BF's cheapest model and it performed better than any of the folder's I had test ridden. To me, it was the difference between a lowly discount store bicycle, and a high quality bicycle sold at a proper shop.

There is also the added bonus of the bike being custom built for you.

Now I will admit, I have not test ridden some models like the speed 8 or a swift. I have heard that quality has improved since my initial test rides. So maybe that quality gap I mentioned is not as dramatic.

I've since sold that first Bike-Friday and upgraded to the Pocket-Rocket. LOVE IT!!