View Single Post
Old 11-12-08, 11:21 AM
cyclistjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
OK John - thanks. I read that, but it doesn't say how efficient the belt is with numbers. It would have to be installed in a particular setup for that anyway.

I'm wondering why strida don't have a hub gear setup with their bikes. Their two speed ones I think are using the schlump thing.

Oh - and yes my leg's ok now thanks. I lost a good amount of fitness during the winter though when I couldn't walk.
I'll go find another disc drive tonight with some research on it, & see if I can find you some useful links with efficiency values :-)

Me too. "Somnatash" was fortunate enough to have met Mark Sanders, the Strida designer, at a show recently. I was hoping he would be at Spezi earlier this year, but no, as I'd like to ask him a few questions about Strida's design. He's going to be in Singapore in a week or two, but it's a bit far to go (although I imagine much warmer than here!) & I haven't been invited, so I'll have to wait until he appears at one of the European shows :-)

You're right, the "new" Strida will have a Schlumpf 2 speed drive, but that takes the price a bit out of my league presently. I saw Florian Schlumpf at Spezi, but didn't chat with him, as he was busy with others, & I hadn't formulated enough sensible, coherent, questions to ask. His engineering though, is very impressive.

I rode a 500cc Triumph in the TA (UK volunteer reserves) & occasionally that backfired (not much money in the UK armed forces ;-)) which really hurt me a couple of times, but nowhere near as badly as you suffered - ouch!

Your posts made me wonder if you were ever going to ride again!

I almost bought a motorcycle again recently, but the day before I was going to phone to order a bike, I tripped over some metalwork outside our house, & really hurt my left foot (too much German white wine I think ;-))

Whilst recovering, it occurred to me that I'd actually be able to carry less on the Honda bike than I would on a bicycle! I'd have trouble parking it, wouldn't become any fitter, etc., etc. so in fact abandoned the idea!

It's interesting you should write about fitness!

I started cycling again seriously just before I joined BF about 2 years ago, & after that 2 year period, I'm back to a proper weight & fitness :-)

However, I've noticed that if I don't ride for say, 2 or 3 days, I "seize up" & it takes several more days of riding before I become "supple". So, I can imagine you were pretty upset during winter!?