View Single Post
Old 11-16-08, 06:58 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Surly Crosscheck is finally done!

I purchased the bike (complete) about 2 months ago. And because I don't like bar ends, the first thing I did was put on some STI's. Tried to find some 9 speed STI's, but 9 speed STI's are more expensive than 10 speeds. Basically, getting a Tiagra 9 speed would cost almost the same as a 10 speed Ultegra. So I bought Ultegra SLs for $169, and set-up the rd using the "alternate" method as per Sheldon Brown. Shifting was okay, so when I saw 105 cassettes going for $30 at PBK, I ordered those and slapped on a 10 speed cassette, giving myself 48/36 in the front, and 12-27 in the back.

Went for my first gravel road ride. Absolutely great fun, but found it difficult going up hills (rear wheels sliding) and also, not enough leverage on hoods to stop or even slow down when going down hill's. So the next decision was to make it into a triple, allowing me to pedal sitting down, and also add some bar top cross brakes. Issue: my Ultegra SLs were doubles only.

So...ordered 105's from chainreaction, ultegra triple fd's, and ultegra long cage rd's - all for around $200, allowing me to save the double Ultegra SL brifters for rebuilding my 7 speed Miyata to a 10 speed. With a used 26 chainring that my LBS gave me, the bike if finally complete! Had my first ride today with the completed bike - absolutely great!

The the original swapped-out components will soon be up for sale, including the 9 speed Dura-Ace bar ends, Tiagra fd, rd, and casssette. Here are the pics.