View Single Post
Old 11-16-08, 07:52 PM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride exclusively with toe clips and straps after several years of fooling around with three different clipless systems. I could work them fine, get in and out easily, but I'm a fitness/recreational rider now and I don't care if I'm firmly attached to the pedals (for the record, I go NO faster and climb no better with clipless than with clips and straps; this is based on hundreds of rides each way over at least 10 years).
Couple of tips that may help:
Leave the straps a little loose. You don't pull up on the pedals enough to matter anyway (everybody says they do, but strain gauge measurements show that almost no one does). Let the clips keep your feet from sliding off the front or sides of the pedals, but leave them loose enough that you can slip out. You won't lose a significant amount of efficiency.
Try mountain bike shoes without cleats. They have slightly lugged soles for walking, and the lugs will engage old-school rat-trap pedals a little, but still allow easy exit. I wear size 50 (U.S. 15) shoes, so new ones are a hassle for me, but if you're a normal size you can often find decent MB shoes on sale for $40-$60. They're not stylish, but they work fine.