Old 11-16-08, 09:53 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FD with large throw?

I'm building up a Sakkit frame and I'm having a problem with the front derailleur outer limit.

Because of the way the chainstays on the Sakkit bow out, I've been forced to move the chainline out. Although the inner chainring on my triple has only about 1mm clearance from the chainstay, when I measure the distance from the middle of the downtube to the outermost chainring, it's about 55mm (compared to 50mm on two other bikes, one also with a triple).

I'm searching for FDs that can move the chain out that far. I prefer to use half-step gearing, and thus would prefer a FD compatible with that, but I'll abandon half-step if I have to. I've been trying a Shimano 600 (half-step compatible, and worked just fine with this crankset on my Surly LHT), but it can't quite make the shift up to the large chainring with the Sakkit's chainline.

What FDs can handle a large chainring difference, and can also move the chain out a long ways?

Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 11-17-08 at 08:23 AM. Reason: had misentered distances