View Single Post
Old 11-17-08, 02:11 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carlaftw
It's a Centurion Dave Scott Expert. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/917706967.html

I just thought the wheel size was quite interesting. I've never seen that.
You can find 24" tires, but they aren't common.

The Centurion is a nice bike. Japanese-made, steel, lugged frame. Seems somewhat pricey to me but the unusual wheel sizes will either make it very hard to sell or very desirable to someone who wants that - who knows?

Here in Seattle 80's Japanese bikes (Univega, Fuji, Centurion, Lotus, Sekai) go for $50 to $300, depending on equipment and condition. I personally really like the 80's Japanese bikes and would look seriously at the Centurion (if you like the color, which I do).

Just remember that on an 80's bike, even if it's been a "garage queen," you are likely to need to replace the tires, tubes, brake pads, and handlebar tape, just from age if nothing else. Brake hoods might be cracked. While you are at it, plan on replacing brake and derailleur cables. And, if you want to ride with clipless pedals, you'll want new pedals. Finally, the saddle is probably junk.

That's why older bikes should sell for so little - you're looking at a fair amount of money just to get many of them in riding condition, even if they are in "good" condition when you buy them.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 11-17-08 at 02:15 AM.