"Word Bond"

Bikes: MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Nice pic, Whoodie.

What are the roads like? Is there a lot of traffic?

What type of bicycle do you have? What size tires do you have on your bicycle?
I will answer two of your questions for now the rest will come as pictures.

Most of the bikes here come mostly from Far East (Japan, Taiwan, China, India etc) and for serious cyclist Europe and US. Shimano takes the components lead while peugeout takes the frame While Shimano and Giant Frames take the lead in MTB. What I mean to say is that out of every 10 racing bikes you meet 7 are peugeouts. And 8 out of every 10 racing bike has a shimano drivetrain. Generally the Far east components are expensive and in most cases prefer buying from the States (Performance Bike or REI). What is termed as expensive Racing/MTB cost between Kshs25,000 (US$300) - Kshs200,000 (US$2,500). Cheap (made in china/india) Racing/MTB cost around Kshs6,000 (US$75), of course the drivetrain in neither shimano, capagnolo, salsa or any of those known brands. You, guessed right, LBS after every ride.

For single/fixie fans there are some bike refered to here as "Black mambas" (probably what PMSeattle is refering to) they cost about Kshs 2,000 (approax. US$25). These are mostly used for carrying loads but not for leisure or racing (cranks are either 40, 44, 48 or 52T while freewheels are 15,17,18 and 20).

For my current rigs (Pix coming)
MTB (Weighs about 14kg), Shimano Frame & Drivetrain (HG50 series), Triple Crankset 48,38,28, 7Spd Cassete 13-28), Promax Hub (front and rear wheels), Promax Disc Brakes, 26x1.5" tires for road and 26x2.25 for off-road use.

Racing (Weighs about 10Kg), Peugeout Frame, Shimano drivetrain (Double Crankset, 52/42), 7spd cassette, 11-21, maxxis tires, shimano 105 brakes.