Old 11-19-08, 01:13 AM
JRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
it seems the overall group behavior on american roads nearly dictates rudeness...
Naw. Using the behavior of others as an excuse for bad behavior is lame, 'fine print' clauses/qualifications notwithstanding.

It's often useful, even necessary, to be assertive. It's never appropriate to be rude (although rudeness is often in the eye of the beholder).

I won't violate someone's ROW. But I'm not going to wait all day while they decide whether they're going to exercise their ROW or not. If you snooze, I'm gone, baby. I'm also not going to give up my ROW easily. I don't doubt that some think I'm being rude. Actually, I'm quite polite. I just don't play silly games (especially the "I can wait longer than you can" game).

Originally Posted by Bekologist
I don't see why the bicyclists should be expected to act any better than the motorists.
I've learned not to expect anything from other bicyclists although I would hope that they would not base their behavior on the worst behavior they see in others. Some motorists act like jerks; many do not.

Originally Posted by zeytoun
I've noticed quite a few people accusing the Advocacy & Safety forum members of being summarily pro-bike, anti-car, to the point of always siding with bicyclists no matter how illegal or rude their behavior.

This is not my impression, so I wanted to do a poll and see what people think.
This thread seems to be based on a false premise-- that it's possible to characterize the opinion of A&S posters as if they are a homogenious group. Thinking of people as individuals is a lot more useful than categorizing them. I generally ignore comments regarding "bicyclists" or "A&S members" or "motorists," etc. because the makers of such comments surely don't have a clue.

Bicyclists are probably the most dispirate "group" I've ever been associated with. About the only trait that seems to characterize bicyclists is that a lot of them are nuts.

I'm as free as a breeze
And I ride where I please
Saddle tramp, saddle tramp

Last edited by JRA; 11-19-08 at 01:21 AM.