View Single Post
Old 11-19-08, 08:45 PM
Snake8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditch the tent, use a hammock

I found that finding two trees was far easier than finding a flat spot to pitch a tent, so I started to bring a hammock instead of a tent. There are myriad benefits and only a few drawbacks. Hammocks can be hung on steep slopes, so you can find a ton more suitable campspots w/o those loathsome R/v 'ers and all the other junk at campgrounds. Bring a tarp for the rain, which conveniently provides a place under which to cook/hang out when its raining so you dont have to cook in the tent or get wet while you cook. Once you get used to sleeping in a hammock you might find it is perfect for keeping those hamstrings from tightening up, blood drains out of the legs too. The best hammocks are the fine cotton ones made in Central America which is where I first started using one. Oh and bring a mosquito net if there are bugs where you are camping. You can also buy a ready made camping hammock.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

I've found that with a hammock and a green tarp you can pretty much camp anywhere and no one will see you/bother you, whereas a tent is like a red flag. I love camping on steep hills with great views. And usually your bike will fit under the tarp/hammock too so it stays dry and protected.

Obvious drawbacks: if no trees, no hammock, but in the desert I sleep under the stars anyhow. They are not as good in cold weather. Some people just cant seem to figure out how to sleep in them. My experience is that a good properly sized hammock is key.

On the food thing, I never understood the oatmeal thing, always find myself bloated for an hour ok for an hour then hungry again. Yogurt and granola cereal work well and no need to heat anything. Most yogurt will be fine overnight unrefrigerated unless you are in the tropics.

Dogs: I carried a small squirt bottle filled with hot sauce, nice for meals and a squirt in the eye of a menacing dog will ruin his day. I'll never forget the expression of that black lab in Ontario that chased me about a half mile when I got him in the eye

I second the dry-bag over trash bags. They come now in all sizes and even come with compression straps, much better than trash bags, worth the coin for the things like clothes and sleeping bag that should never be wet at the end of a 100 mile day in the rain.

But really, the hammock changed my camping/touring life more than any other thing i have done.