Old 12-15-04, 05:07 PM
Helmet-Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
Not always. It only takes one sleepy or radio-twiddling or scenery-gawking or road-raging etc driver to end your life in a random moment of given day.
True enough. Just as true as it takes only one 7 number sequence to get you a $20 million dollar jackpot, setting you up financially for life. And it only takes one 1 lbs meteor to kill you. Or one slip in the tub. But what are the odds? Is it sufficiently likely to even think about?

If you want to live your life making decisions based on such highly unlikely events, be my guest. Me, I swim in the ocean, hike in the Grand Canyon, travel on airplanes, take elevators, drive my car among potential drunk drivers, and, yes, I even ride my bike in front of cars on my way to work, home, and any other place I need to go.

The ironic thing is that statistics show that getting hit by a car is MUCH more likely when you're riding on the wrong side of the street against the flow of traffic.

I believe in taking reasonable risks. Riding my bike in front of cars with the traffic flow is a reasonable risk. Riding on the wrong side of the road against the traffic flow is an unreasonable risk.

Serge