Old 11-22-08, 08:42 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schwinn Continental II

Sold my 84 Peugeot last night on a whim to a "Wanted 58-60CM road bike" ad on CL. Almost didn't let it go. Had that bike a LONG time. Got it late 85 from a buddy. Nice guy that bought it. Wants to make a Fixed out of it. The Helicomatic hub was ...well a typical Helicomatic hub. I was seriously thinking about lacing a flip flop to it as well. He just caught me at a moment of weakness with a really nice T700 Cannondale on CL that I want and needed the cash to get it.

So today while out trying to find fuel line for the yard blower I saw a Estate sale sign and decided to make a drive by. Out on the driveway was a Schwinn Continental II Not horrible condition just really crusty. Its a rider though. 25inches to the top of the top tube and 35 stand over. Head badge say 0748 and the SN starts KN saying Oct of 77 so I guess that makes it a 78 model. Asked the guy "how much?" Got the story that he "got it from his friend that got it at a Garage sale 10 years ago for $5 and I'll take $5 for it now." PAID on the spot rode it out to my truck.

Decals are really bad but the paint has promise. Little rust on the rims but seems to clean up ok. Its missing its factory rear wheel and has some goofy plastic peddles but has all the rest of its original parts. The rear wheel that is on it has a chain clearance issue on the spoke guard that doesn't make a lot of sense. Makes the chain jump. Drives good in all but the low gear. Tires hold air and the rear is in pretty good shape. Cleaned it up some tonight and put couple miles on it. Really impressed with how nice it rides No grinding, cranks feel smooth.

Trying to figure out what to do about the back wheel. Head down to the local Co op tomorrow and see what the chances are of finding the right wheel and peddles see if I can trade this old Huffy Santa Fe I got in the back yard for the parts.

This one is already on CL trying to raise cash for that touring bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cont1.jpg (102.1 KB, 101 views)