View Single Post
Old 11-23-08, 10:06 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
Punching the back of a truck that entered an intersection 100 feet before you, but was slow moving due its size and intersection dynamics is a new one to me.
My take at the time was different. He inched out to look for traffic. All he saw was a cyclist. Maybe he thought "F' him....he's on a bike" or maybe he does not often see cyclists riding 17 mph. Given the type of vehicle, I assumed it was the former. Vehicle Profiling if you will.

So he hits the gas for whatever reason - then has a change of heart - most likely because if he hits me or I hit him, the cops will be called and not only delay him, but cite him for failure to yield.

The rest is a bunch of Neanderthal posturing that probably neither one of us is proud of now. But him slamming on his brakes in an attempt to make me hit him was the clincher. I had to push off of the truck anyway to avoid a crash, so I pushed off with a punch.

Nice thing about video, I can see that my position in the road approaching the intersection could have been better. I should have been in the left tire track, not the right. He would have seen me a split second sooner.

Originally Posted by Bekologist
what time of day was it, and do you run daytime LEDs? More motorists yield their right of way to me when I run a high intensity (150 lumens) LED on flash mode.
At the start of the vid, you can see the sun. Time was an hour and a half before sunset. Running daytime lights is probably not a bad idea. Just like a motorcycle. Problem with that, as soon as they ID me as a cyclist they are likely to run the stop RIGHT in front of me anyway, just like they do at night. I run 30 watts of NightSun.