View Single Post
Old 11-23-08, 09:38 PM
Gordo Grande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankCrows
The other day I had a few nice finds. A sharp long sleeve Mapei/Quick Step/Colnago jersey in my size for $2, a nameless pretty red Gitane mixte for $20, and a even nicer looking 58cm 1983 Centurion Elite GT Touring rig for a "see it to believe" bargain price. The Centurion looks really sharp, and comparing it to the 1984 catalog on the Sheldon Brown site, the only alterations from new it seems to have is a different saddle, missing pedal dust covers, missing brake hoods, and a missing bottle boss bolt on the underside of the down tube. Even the foam bar cover pieces are in super shape. I'm convinced it was PPI'd (Purchased, Parked, and Ignored) before I came across it in a thrift store. I've just given it a basic wiping down and got a little grime off the drive train and components. Some new tires, hoods and tape and it'll be good to go. It even has the original wire (that runs internally through the length of the down tube for a generator) which is pretty cool.

The mixte I don't have pictures of, but here are some of the touring job and the jersey.
That is a great touring bike! I'd kill for a bike like that. My Ol' Faithful is an 82 Centurion Super LeMans, and I consider this bike its big brother. I didn't realize that Centurion even made a full-on touring bike in those days, or I might have bought one.