Old 11-24-08, 06:22 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gamecat
It's not that simple. There are no stop signs.

The truck shouldn't have pulled out and then stopped. If it had checked both directions, seen Joey and then proceeded through the intersection quickly enough not to block the right of way of the vehicle in motion then there wouldn't have been a problem. If it had waited there wouldn't have been a problem.

What happened is that the driver failed to notice the cyclist approaching the intersection and so was not going to safely clear the intersection before Joey's arrival. He then became either confused or irritated and hesitated in the middle of the intersection.

Joey was able to avoid him, despite the trucks erratic false starts, which means that Joey wasn't riding unsafely as far as the basic speed law is concerned. He might be faulted for not riding defensively, but he didn't break the law. The truck technically did, but probably not intentionally. At least until the ges-ticular communication began.
Ah, in that case I take that back. I thought the solid white lines indicated a stop was required. My apologies to OP.