View Single Post
Old 11-25-08, 07:35 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Poaching from one of my own, earlier posts in a different thread... I've found at least one work around for carbon forks and rear stays that don't have eyelets for fenders: zip ties.

This is what I did with Debbie's custom Ritchey Road Logic which was built without any braze-ons or screw-eyes for fenders/racks. Individually, they are pretty flimsy. However, once you have all of the attachment hardware tighted-up it makes for a pretty durable installation. Debbie's had hers on full-time for over 10 months and 2,500 miles without a hiccup. To protect the paint finish and to give more "bite", I put a strip of vinyl electrician's tape down before mounting the zip ties.

Black plastic "mounting" zip tie:

SKS Front fender with break-away mounting clips attached to zip tie on fork end.

SKS Rear fender attached to zip tie on rear stay.

I've used the same technique for mounting the fenders on my Calfee Tetra Pro (single bike) and the Tetra Tandem pictured in the first post of this thread. There was also some major surgery on the fenders relative to creating sufficient clearance to pass under the tandem's rear brake bridge and under the crowns on both bike's forks. While not as rock-solid as fenders mounted on true eyelets, they keep the fenders in place just fine and wheel rub has never been a problem due to any shifting as the zip ties are really quite secure so long as you install them on top of electrician's tape.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 11-25-08 at 08:03 AM.