Professional Decal Maker

Bikes: Giant MTB, Fuji beach bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gholian
Hi,
I brought my 87 Peugeot racer to a bicycle shop that my brother told me was the best around. The guy there was very knowledgable. I wanted to get the pedals, crank arms and other bits taken off so I could respray the frame. I was hit with quite disturbing information. The guy said that the frame could only be done in a temperature chamber as that was how it was done initially. This is what is used by car bodywork shops. He said that if I attemted to do it myself with a spray gun or aerosol can that it would only last a few weeks and would chip off. I would end up making the bike look worse. I have used aerosol cans on cars in the past touching up little bits and it has held up just fine. Could someone confirm if what was said to me is true or not. If anyone out there has resprayed a bike how did you do it.

Thanks.
Sounds like the bike mechanic probably had a bad experience or two with paint chipping off during the rebuild Just like the others are saying "it's all in the preparation before painting". I would spray the frame without hesitation and not worry about the paint chipping off. I’ve used Dupli-color automotive touch up spray cans and the results were great. Just make sure you give the paint ample drying time befor the rebuild.

JR.