RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
twitchy

Originally Posted by cstamper
Quick question: I find this bike incredibly "twitchy" in its ride - very unlike any of my other bikes. It's a very compliant and comfortable frame to ride but it's twitchy enough that I almost don't feel safe reaching down to the shifters while I'm riding. I've had other bikes w/downtube shifters, but don't remember feeling this way when riding them (although it was a long time ago). If it weren't for that, I would ride this all the time because of the ride quality. Would putting a stem w/a longer reach help that or is it more geometry-related?
I completely understand the "twitchy" part. The shorter wheelbase and geometry gets you forward a little more than most road bikes, even in 1983-84. The bike was made for drop riding at speed, and plenty of corners. In my experience, the Comp TA and the Ironman aren't exactly the type of bike you ride around on with no hands on the bars. They're a little for that. Downtube shifting requires a more steady "core" and takes a little practice.

(If you want to see it really done right, watch some guys ride criteriums with downtube shifters.)

That is one beautiful Comp TA. It will handle a long ride, no problem; but yeah, it's a little twitchy.
So is a '68 Camaro.