View Single Post
Old 11-28-08, 07:51 PM
BENTGUY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spice light

I retired my light when I found a cheap HID lamp on ebay but I was pretty proud of my home built one. I used a small plastic spice jar and a 20W mr16 spot bulb. The bulb fits perfectly in the top of the jar. I trimmed about 1/8 inch from the top of the jar and cut a round hole in the lid. I cut a piece of glass the size of the inside of the cap. The cap screws on over all this, making it weather resistant and easy to change the light bulb. It was light enough that I mounted it on my helmet. I used it for mountain biking in the dark. I definately prefer the helmet mount. The light is always pointed where you're looking and it is great when you have to make a repair in the dark. I also added a dimmer in a separate control on top of my helmet so that I could save power when I didn't need as much light. I also added flashing LEDs pointing to the rear from my helmet top control. The LEDs were ripped from an old rear light. It was all just barely heavier than my current HID light. The battery was a standard SLA battery. I would share pictures, but alas, I gave the light away.