View Single Post
Old 11-29-08, 09:59 AM
rock_ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What frame and handlebars, and why?

Looking around this forum, and the internet in general, at utility bikes, I notice that most or all have straight handlebars or "swept back" (is that the right term?) ones, and never drop handlebars or something like that. Also, most home-made/converted cargo bikes seem to use a mountain bike frame rather than a road bike of some sort, often with mountain bike tyres still on it.

I would like to know the reasons behind this. Why are straight handle bars used primarily, and an upright position, rather than something more like a touring bike which is surely meant for good going at distance and with a load? Also, why the use of mountain bikes - is it only for the gears?

I have been persuaded to try to make an xtracycle-type thing, and I will have to acquire a "new" bike for the main body. I was expecting to go for some kind of road bike and just make sure it has a small chainring available, but now I wonder if I should be thinking of something else?

I have an old Mongoose mountain bike available but the front suspension and heavy weight put me off using it as the body of the bike.

If you're wondering, I will specifically be using the bike for a courier service in a city, so I'll be out on it all day possibly. There's a few noteable hills in my city, that I have to stand up and really go for when I'm on my Dawes Galaxy, so consider that if it makes a difference.

Thanks a lot

--Joe