universalradio

Bikes: Marin Palisades

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple issues / questions about Marin Palisades

'ello
I bought a Marin Palisades in Highland Pk this past June...
At about 3 months, the crank began making 2 palpable knocking noises per revolution when in low gear. Especially when going uphill.

I just took it in for the free 6 month tune up, now it makes more and worse noises.

1. The crank sounds like it has loose bearings and makes the sound in every gear now.

2. The front brake squeaks w/ every revolution and if I put a bit of pressure on the brake handle it stops, but when I release it again the sound becomes deeper for a few revolutions then goes back to the squeak.

My questions are:
Any ideas, based on my descriptions of the sounds, what might need to be fixed?
What book or site has step by step instructions for fixing this myself?
What tools would I need to do so?

I'm not considering taking it back to that bike shop...I'm done w/ them... the owner drinks on the job and I get a distinct vibe of dishonesty from everyone... the mechanic wanted to change my "rusty" chain ??? on a bike that is less than a year old, has always been stored inside, and had it's first rain experience just 4 days ago (I live in LA... it never rains here)

My cheap old Raleigh from the early 90's and bottom of the line Trek from 2002 each lasted for years w/ no problems at all except the routine changing of brake pads and tires.... for $1100 you might hope, not for perfection or the best, but that some minimal quality could be expected... Perhaps planned obsolescence has become The Law.

Anyway, I'd appreciated it if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks