View Single Post
Old 12-18-04, 03:00 AM
philip99a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are three male Brits (ages 57, 52 and 14!) planning to ride Vancouver - San Francisco in August/Sept 05.

Around 50 - 60 miles a day for three weeks. Approx one rest day per week. We're not completists though; we'll use rail or bus if need be (tho I understand this can be awkward with bikes, having to box them etc). Most likely credit card touring (no tents, staying in motels).

I've bought the Lonely Planet Guide to Cycling on the West Coast of USA. I quite fancy starting with riding a little of Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands. The Lonely Planet "Border to Border" route then passes through Bremerton to the west of Seattle (in fact it misses Seattle out completely which suits me, we're not coming all the way to the US for city riding!), then to Kelso just North of Portland, heads for the coast down the Columbia River valley to Astoria, hugs the coast (Route 101) all the way to Eureka, comes inland a little to go through the Redwoods National Park. On to San Francisco.

Experiences and advice gratefully received please.....
Any suggestions where best to take our rest days.
If we do well, we may carry on and finish at Big Sur (memories of 60's hippies!)