View Single Post
Old 12-02-08, 04:57 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was bad today. At a certain horrible crossing to one of the Port entries, where autos/trucks filter in at a high rate of speed one after the other, I decided to just cross. Usually I use a lighted button crossing but I mis-timed a break in the vehicle line and decided to go further up to the uncontrolled crossing (which is now missing all the "bike/ped crossing" signage in spite of notifying the city several times of the problem). As I pulled up to the crossing, a truck that saw me coming (I heard his engine slow down for a second) decided to go for it and didn't let me cross. After him followed a looooong line of vehicles. So I pointed my headlights in their direction, moving my bars from side to side to signal people that I was standing there trying to cross (I have side lights too). Nothing. I waved. Nothing. I moved forward slightly pantomiming a movement, nothing. I finally just stuck my front tire out there and made like I was going to step out right in front of them. First truck veers quick out of my line of travel. Second truck slams on his brakes with a screech, but couldn't stop in time and had to keep going. Van behind him slams on his brakes and is able to stop, looking shocked and car behind him finally stops. I'm yelling at them the whole time "CROSSING!" It was slightly insane. I wasn't in immediate danger b/c the road is quite wide, but I'm going back to the lighted crossing tomorrow. It was slightly nice to see their shocked faces.