Old 12-03-08, 09:33 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recommend some wheels for weekends and centuries?

I'd like some recommendations for wheels, if anyone has the time and interest.

Here's my situation: I'm a 57-year-old recreational rider and tourer. I ride on weekends during the year, and in the summer I usually take a fully-loaded tour somewhere. I have a nice touring bike - a Surly LHT - but it's a bit of a tank for weekend rides and centuries, especially since I have it equipped with racks and fenders.

I just bought a Specialized Allez frame on Ebay - the price was right. I want to build it up for the weekend rides and centuries, and save the Surly for tours. It's the basic Allez - all aluminum except for the carbon fork.

I weigh about 200 lbs. I've broken spokes in the past and it's something I worry about, so getting a durable wheelset is one consideration, but I won't be loading this bike up so I think I can get away with lighter wheels than on my tourer.

I'm not a racer; I ride at a comfortable pace. I'm not sure if aerodynamic spokes are a concern, but lightness is; I want this bike to be lighter and faster than my tourer.

I don't want to spend too much money. When I have plenty of money to spend I'm going to buy a carbon fiber bike. The Allez is just to get me through until then - maybe a couple of years. But I also know that a good wheelset makes a big difference, so I'm not averse to spending some bucks. $300 sounds like a nice figure for the set, but I could be talked higher - maybe $500 - if I'm getting a good bang for my buck.

I'm planning on a triple crankset - I've gotten too used to it from my touring bike - and with a triple I've read that a 9-speed cassette is better than 10. Is that right or am I full of baloney? And does any of that affect my wheel choice?

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!