Old 12-04-08, 03:48 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That open pro/ultegra wheelset is very good indeed. It sounds like you are a bit of a home mechanic, as you are building the bike. Fancy making your own wheels? I suggest a cheaper wheelset for a first try. Mavic open sport rims on Tiagra hubs makes a very good wheelset, and is rather less expensive. Use 36 spoke rear, 3X with 2X on the drive side (make it a bit stiffer and stronger), and 32 on the front. Do the front radial for simplicity and because it looks fast! Or 3X if you like, maybe a little more comfortable to ride. Use DT Swiss double butted spokes, they are very robust.

I suggest that unless you really struggle on hills, and have some very steep ones on your area, you get a double chainset. The racing bike weighs a lot less, and you'll probably be going up hills a lot faster. I know plenty of people with triples that they don't use. Get a 52-39 chainset and a 12-27 cassette, and it will probably give all the gears you need. You could even use a 12-25 if your area is reasonably flat.