Old 12-04-08, 11:42 AM
yogi13

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
You don't weigh that much, honestly. There are lots of wheel sets that can work. I bought a set of Neuvation M28 Aero2 wheels for $200 and they've been great. Just upgraded to Easton EA90 SLs, thanks to eBay and the 25% cashback from live.com; they'll end up costing around $420, IIRC. You can also get 1400g EA90 SLX wheels for not much more. Williams System 19 wheels are also pretty reasonable in price; just over your $500 budget if you have to pay for shipping.
The Williams System 19 wheels are only rated for 190 lbs; you need to go to the 30x in their lineup if you weigh more. I have a set of the 30x and they're nice, but overkill for the OP's needs. As a previous poster said, I'd avoid the lightweight wheels in this case. The ultegra/open pros sound like the best option to me.

BTW, unless your area is flat or extremely hilly you might want to go with a compact crank (50x34 or 36), with something like a 11-26 cassette on the back if you're in an area with lots of climbs. Unless you're going to be doing sustained and steep climbs, or are pretty weak, the triple is likely to be overkill on a road bike.