Old 12-04-08, 12:38 PM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am no longer a fan of low profile rims, and particularly of Open Pros. The last two OPs I have had have cracked at the spoke eyelets and had a loose sleeve at the joint that rattles.

'Aero' profile rims make for much sturdier wheels. The larger cross-section rim better resists twisting, which makes for a wheel that it laterally stiffer. The wheel will flex less when you are standing on the pedals. That will let the spokes last longer and the wheel will stay truer. Even though I only weigh 140-145 lbs I have to regularly retrue my back wheels, and I have had to get wheels rebuilt after they break too many spokes and get too hard to true. My Powertap hub is on its fourth build and it's only two years old. I do ride a lot of steep climbs, I am sure that has a lot to do with it.

My most recent PT wheel build uses an IRD Cadence "aero" rim (re-badged Niobium rim that's available under different names such as Kinlin). Its listed weight is all of 20g more than the OP's listed weight but it's much stiffer laterally.

These stiff wheels don't make for a harsher ride.... its lateral stiffness. Any well tensioned wheel is going to have the same vertical compliance: nothing that can be felt by the rider. The only wheel I've ever felt had a noticeably smoother ride was one with the spoke tension was so low that the non drive side nipples were rattling around in the rim by the time I got home.

Ultegra hubs OTOH are great. Not light, but very durable. Of the "boutique" hubs I like White Industries hubs. Not the very lightest but they have a Ti freehub body which won't get chewed up by cassette cogs, bearings that roll well, and widely spaced flanged that make for a laterally stiffer wheel.

Whatever wheels you get make sure the spokes are tensioned fully. The #1 problem with wheels is low spoke tension- most wheels are built by machine and those generally don't tension the spokes enough.

10sp works fine with a triple. If you are riding a lot of steep climbs (and I could see that being on the central coast) the triple is a good choice. 9sp and 10sp levers have different hood shapes. Most people like the 10sp ones better but some prefer the 9sp shape. 10sp chains wear out a little faster and cost a bit more but even with the amount I ride the difference is only about $40/year.