Old 12-04-08, 10:17 PM
SweetLou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Too bad somebody doesn't just invent a mechanical gearing system to allow one to select different gears based on what one needs for varying grades, wind conditions, etc.
Oh, I like geared bikes also. Actually, most of my bikes are multigeared. But, I live on the west side of Cleveland, this means no hills. The only time I do switch gears is when I come to a stop to make it a little easier to get going. For me, having multiple gears really is not needed for my general riding, especially for my daily commute. Though my daily commuter is a 24 speed, lol.

For bad weather, a fixed gear is great for me. No cables (except the front brake cable) to get rusty, no snow and ice packed derailers, it is just a maintenance thing. And I do find them fun to ride.

I do have a disdain for some of the fixed geared riders. I don't like the ones that take really nice frames and cut all the braze-ons off, I don't like the brakeless riders, and I am not too keen on the fad/fashion riders. These are the ones that come into the shop and I try to help them. If I am confused on what they want or what they are trying to accomplish, I'll ask questions. Usually the answer is something like, "It'll be cool (phat)" or because they see others doing it. A lot of the cyclist I meet at the store are clueless when it comes to bikes, maintenance etc. That is fine, that is why I have a job and I like to help people. Most of the time, with these riders, is that they are trying to accomplish something, lower gearing to help get up a hill, a more comfortable saddle, alleviate hand and wrist pain, lighting for night riding, etc. With fixed gear, it is "remove the spacers and turn the stem upside down and put a track bar on it. I want a really low handlebar height." They don't do it for racing or better aerodynamics. They do it because it is phat or in style. The worse are the ones that cut the handlebars so narrow, I wonder how they have any control of the bike. I also wonder how it could be comfortable for more than 100 yards.