Thread: Winter is here
View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 03:54 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
The plants and animals are all adapting or trying to.

Of course the trees are shedding their leaves, but other things that I've noticed are.

The creek nearby is dead. Last summer it was alive with fish, birds, muskrats and snakes. They all seem to be gone. I don't know what happened to the muskrats. I fear that a neighborhood cat got them. The snakes because of their cold blood I assume are laying low. The fish disappeared rapidly. One time I looked and the local creek was full of them swimming and splashing on the surface, the next time I looked there were none. I have to guess that the freezing water got them.

There has been a heron feeding in the creek, I saw it yesterday farther down from where it usually fishes, but I think the sudden disappearance of the fish has left it dazed. Today I saw it over the road, flying down Green Mountain Dr in front of my apartment, taking its lane about 5 feet above the asphalt. It wasn't flying particularly fast, but following the road as it curved. It seemed a little dazed. At least it was going south on Green Mountain. Seems like it better make tracks for Louisiana.

How's the fauna doing in your neck of the woods?
When I get up, the deer are clustered around my shed. I think they're hiding from yuppee hunting season. Last weekend, I heard what must have been over 250 rounds fired in the woods....... I would have assumed that the woods were depopulated, but there they are, all standing in my back yard.....

We rolled the pumpkins back there that were left over from Haloween and gave them a feast.

All the leaves are gone and riding fast on the trail requires really dark glasses. There's this wierd strobing effect going through the shadows of the tree trunks. Not much left of the riding season.