View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 10:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotland Yard
I know there have been other threads on this, and they have all devolved into immature vegan attacks. I'm not here to flaunt my values, I just want a discussion with like minded people. What I want to know, is what does your daily food intake consist of. It doesn't matter if you race or not, I don't either I'm not a hardcore roadie or anything I just got into this and only own a fixed gear. But It would be nice to see what people who are in excellent shape eat. I'm not completely vegan, but I'm in the transitioning phase. I could afford to eat healthier myself, but I'm on the go a lot, so I want to see if anyone has any good dietary advice for cycling or just all round healthiness. So with that said what are your daily meals like? (please no carnivorous meals)
I'm basically a flexitarian, which as I understand it is a vegetarian who occasionally eats meat, etc. I refer to my self as a “social carnivore” (like a “social drinker”; usually I only eat meat when we go to finer restaurants, or when visiting Mom). Most of my day-to-day eating though, follows the principles of my self-proclaimed “Dr. Perfect Diet”: low fat, low glycemic, vegetarian, in the Zone, with special attention to omega-3-fatty acids. My meals are then chosen with those principles in mind.

The Zone Diet of Dr. Barry Sears recommends that proteins, carbs and fats be eaten together in a certain proportion (protein in the size of a deck of playing cards, a plateful of carbs, and a little fat, as I recall). The Glycemic Index of foods refers to the rate at which the food elevates the blood sugar; tables of the GI are readily available usually on a scale of up to 100. For example, apples are considered low, at about 40, whereas watermelon is up around 70, dates are 100. Protein and fat content are on the labels of most processed food or readily obtained from tables.

My exception for omega-3 fatty acids is satisfied by nuts, particularly walnuts (high in fats) and fish, particularly salmon (not vegetarian), though supplements are available. I do include non-fat dairy for protein, but this is easily replaced by soy products or other vegan protein sources. I've gotten to like solid tofu with the right preparation, and even can take some flavored soy milks.

IMO this is a pretty simple way to make good food decisions and incorporates many aspects of various popular diets. I find I can eat satisfying meals and portions, feel energized but not feel stuffed. One important thing is to keep these foods readily on hand whenever hunger strikes. For example an apple and some walnuts are a compact and easily stored snack.