genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
That's what I think happened. Pre-selected people acting in pre-selected ways and edited for good measure. It makes for a good looking video, but doesn't quite jive with human nature.
Human nature or American Nature? I found cyclists queuing up just fine on crowded bikeways in places like China. And there are plenty of videos that show Copenhagen cyclists riding along at consistent speeds. I didn't recall Oulo walkers and cyclists having a showdown as to proper MUP etiquette?

Americans seem to be obsessed with independence (or who knows what trait) to the point of not following speed limits; they also tend to exercise that same trait when it comes to "racing" on some MUPs.

Perhaps part of the problem is that decent MUPs are so rare here in the US that we just don't know how to act on them. Are they big sidewalks, are they bike highways, are they a skater's heaven?

Heck, last week I saw a skateboarder on the MUP with a sailboard... tacking his way from side to side and taking up the whole thing... and this was one wide MUP. Mix in a few kids on Big Wheels and there could have been problems.

But indeed I have seen folks on local paths acting as if there was a traffic cop somewhere directing them... sticking to the right; but I have to admit that is NOT the usual situation.