View Single Post
Old 12-08-08, 05:29 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread, nice pics!

There's nothing that beats a top-notch, remote camping site- been doing "dispersed camping" for decades, and have drawerfuls of maps at home with scrawled directions all over them to some of my favorite spots in the western US. I would only add a couple of recommendations, and they're rather obvious:

-Avoid places with a lot of trash and/or shot-up debris; these are usually used for parties and target shooters.

-Camp farther away from main roads and towns on weekends, especially in summer, when the back country population increases.

-Before settling in on a spot I always scope it out for a few minutes: walk around and look for potential hazards, evaluate your neighboring campers (if any) for possible trouble or companionship, and the "feel" of the place. Very rarely, I've left places that gave me a bad vibe.

-I tend to conceal my camping spot when I'm alone; this is more out of personal preference than safety concerns.

Looking at these pictures makes me want to hit the road again!