Old 12-08-08, 10:19 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
What do I want (to use for my next bike)?

I want a bike that I can ride with my wife who has an Electra Townie. She's a beginning rider (literally, I taught her to ride this past summer) so speed and distance aren't going to be all that high. I had been riding my Gazelle Champion Mondial A-Frame, but with 700c x 23mm tires, even the longer wheel base of the A-frame isn't all that stable at very low speeds. I tend to out run her pace regardless of how hard I try not to, usually just to keep from feeling like I'm doing track-stand practice (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea)

Also thought that a 3 or 4speed pathracer / clubman style setup would be a fun addition to the collection. Something along the lines of steppinthefunk's recent velo-cheapo submission. 26"x1.75 or 2" tires, fixed/ss/internal geared hub in back. Maybe a chain guard if I end up riding in regular pants from time to time. Some sort of flipped Northroad bar or something similar. Little more agressive than a true upright bar, but much less so than a drop bar setup.

So, what options do I have for a fairly relaxed geometry frame (compared to a 531c race frame anyways), 26"(ish) tire (though I do have a set of 27" wheels sitting here unused that I could probably put a 24x1.5 on without too much worry - it's a 27x1" rim?). Horizontal drops in case I go the single speed / internal geared route.