View Single Post
Old 12-09-08, 09:20 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonestr
I am honestly surprised that you are a toe down rider as you seem to be an elder statesman around here.

Good luck getting used to dropping your heal. It really made a world of difference for me in staying with fast crits, flat road races, and TTs as before I would just try and survive between hills.
Looking through some pictures from last year you can kind of see what's going on...

3 o-clock

~5 o-clock

~8 o-clock (note heel is down @ ~2 o-clock on NDS)

10-11 o-clock

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Just like very other sport, there's a learned technique. However, in this sport few bother to learn what you just learned. They just sort of pedal and muscle the bike.

Your foot will drop to the bottom...if you pull, which is what you are basically describing, now you are using more of the circle. Presto...more power. Me...I am pulling from about the 4 o'clock position.

Think of it another way...try to visualize the bottom of your foot parallel to the ground the whole way around. It won't be that way, but you'll start pulling backward more...the old adage about scraping mud off your shoe. I can't get the mud off the back of the shoe if my toe is the only part that touches the ground. Try it. Try pulling with your toe downward. Then with your foot more level to the ground.

When I am standing, my heel comes up more. I can get more pull that way. Look at a video of Lance climbing at those high RPM's.

Most people just push downward and that's it.

There is a new DVD series out by Joe Friel. One of the parts is on pedaling technique. There are a lot of folks that buy tons of expensvie equipment and never spend time on their technique. This is the time of year to do that.

Ride fast!
Interestingly, I probably heel down more than I realize, especially when I climb. When I climb I really focus on circles, and I've done a computrainer test and had a really even circle so it's probably not too bad