Old 12-11-08, 08:30 PM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New wheel build-up: recommendations for spokes

I hope this is the right forum vs Vintage.

I have a custom touring frame (seven speed friction) and want to build a good, strong and reliable wheelset. Nevertheless, I don't want to make it heavier than needed. Reliability is the first factor. BTW, I'm 220 pounds.

Here's what I have regarding the wheels:

**Campy high flange hubs, 36 holes;
**Mavic GP 4 rims;
**Mavic GEL 280 rims and
**Campy Montreal rims

All rims are new and never mounted to a hub. All are tubular rims.

I was thinking the way to go was the Montreal rims and some sort of double butted Wheelsmith spoke with brass nipples. Cross three.

Any other suggestions as to the type of spoke? I know the DT people offer some sort of bladed spoke, and I'm not adverse to such a spoke, but I wonder if it presents some sort of compromise with reliabiltiy.

How about the rim? I could always go with the GP4 (general purpose 400 g), but wonder if it is too heavy vs the Campy model. I suppose I could mix the GEL 280 (general extra leggeria) in the front and the Montreal in the rear, but I'm not really that familiar with the rims. Probably the most important aspect resulting in wheel reliability is the spoke selection and build.

Thanks
Steve