View Single Post
Old 12-12-08, 08:04 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vgXhc
Looks like an excellent solution for my grocery mobile. Do you have any close-up pictures of where and how you attached the zip ties? Looks like you don't have a standard rack. And how do you tell the difference between industrial grade and normal zip ties?

I might run into the heel strike problem with my Sasquatchian feet but we'll have to see how it goes.
You are right about the rack it's homemade from an old bike frame and a used up skateboard. I had drilled a series of holes along the edge to hook bungees and I fed the zip ties through those.

The term "industrial zip ties" is just a figure of speech meaning good quality. The Family Dollar packs are pretty light weight. I keep some heavy weight and the cheepo light weights on hand. I've never had one break but I suspect I have pushed the upper limit.

I don't have any close up pictures of the attachment but when I attached the buckets to a standard rack later I just drilled holes where ever I needed them. I have used as little as three but normally I tend to overkill.

Someone mentioned the plastic "drumming" when empty and they do that but I just throw my backpack in one and my empty reusable bags in the other and that seems to take care of it.

By the way they are lighter than the $40.00 steel baskets but if you don't drill drain holes in the bottom they get heavy fast in a rain storm. Also like a pickup truck bed they tend to collect stuff.