View Single Post
Old 12-12-08, 06:31 PM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I won't disagree, it's really up to the individual -but just my opinion is that most bikes are setup initially with the bars too low or too similar to a racing configuration (and I am certainly not racing when I tour.) Another point is the natural posture or physiological traits of a rider -for example I have a short neck (genetics, bah!) and bars set too low just aren't comfortable for me -and I take your point that certainly bars too high aren't a good idea either! It's down to the individual.

To the original poster: I think both drops and trekking bars can be very comfortable for touring, if you know you are comfortable in drops, use drops (though you will need a road front derailleur if you use STI). If you have problems with drops or want to try something different, go with trekking bars (though index shifting is best with mtb front derailleurs). Or if money is the driving issue, probably trekking bars will turn out cheaper.

I really don't think either solution is a bad one, and I've personally found neither one is clearly better than the other, it's really up to you and what suits you.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Nigeyy, you mention installing drops too low.... I don't personally see the need for them to be high on a touring bike. Low bars are very comfortable as long as you are well acclimated to the position, have good form, and have good core strength. I believe that it requires that you have the form that puts most of the weight on your legs. If you do, it is a very comfortable way to go. If you manage to do it right, not much weight is on the saddle or the hands.