Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Fogging eyewear

dekindy,

“Do your goggles have indirect venting”
Actually, I didn’t know my goggles were vented until you pointed that out. The vents are very small and any air flow would have to take a zig-zag-zig path to enter. Regardless, vents or not, the seal on lower portion of the goggle is a sufficient enough barrier to prevent my exhale from entering the interior of the goggle.

Do you not believe that I, Jim from Boston, and the Icebikers are getting positive results?
Of course, I do. I was addressing my suggestions to the many posters that were still experiencing fogging.

I have had several conversations with Jim, both here, and via PMs. You will note in Jim’s post #9 in this thread in which he states, “The face mask is a direct chute for warm moist air on to my upper cheeks and eyes….a heavy source of moisture to fog the eyeglasses and goggles. Jim goes on to say that he had to manipulate his face mask, his breathing direction, and his head position to eliminate most of the fogging. Perhaps if his outer safety goggles weren’t open at the bottom, but were sealed against his face, that might provide a barrier to his warm moist exhale.

Perhaps, there are other variables that I haven’t considered in this discussion. Other conditions could be the reason we are getting different individual results. For example, many of you wear prescription glasses, I do not. I wear sunglasses or the clear goggles for wind protection. Also, I don’t perspire a lot. If one sweats heavily, especially around the facial area, that could cause a higher probability of condensation…with, or without sealed goggles. I suspect that the varying amounts of perspiration between us may be the reason we are getting varying and seemingly conflicting results.

I hope this thread doesn't earn me a nomination for Jim's aforementioned "Futility Award".

Regards, Alfie (Mariano)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008 first snow siz.jpg (76.2 KB, 2 views)