View Single Post
Old 12-17-08, 03:47 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Hello

Staehpj comments reminded me of the "data" I collected on a holiday in New Zealand in December/January 2008. Here is an edit the posting made at on my return in the Bicycle Network Australia forums:

I have just returned from a month in New Zealand (no, not a cycle or walking holiday) touring mainly around the South Island but also with some family visiting in the North. During the visit I recorded all my sightings of cycle tourists. All up I saw 83 tourers during my visit. What is interesting I think is the statistics (breakdown) listed below:

Total tourers (loaded with panniers or pulling a trailer) sighted: 83

That total broken down:

38 (46% of sightings) were flat bar bicycles (this number is a bit rubbery because (a) a lot of sightings where drive by and (b) by the time I noted some bikes with trekking bars and hence I tried to take a more careful look, I couldn't go back and verify the number. What I did notice however was a lot of flatbars with bar ends.

15 (18%) where drop bar bicycles.

12 (14%) couldn't be determined (noted before taking more specific details).

6 (7%) where trekking bar fitted bicycles

3 (4%) where tandems.

3 (4%) where recumbents

Only seven (8%) of the 81 tourers seen where pulling trailers. Of those seven seen, five where BOB trailers, one a Buxley and one a child trailer. One BOB seen was being pulled by a tandem. That was one long rig. One was being pulled behind a mountain bike. Got to speak to this guy which was interesting given this is the setup I am getting.

Other Observations:

Saw the most tourers in one day (14) on the route between Twizel (Mt Cooke) and Dunedin.

Between Te Anau (small town near Queenstown) and Manapouri (small village) saw 10+ tandems (not touring) out on the road.

Two recumbents were tandems. That is a child was sitting up front. Quite a sight.

The local papers I saw had a lot of press on cycling. Mainly sport related (road and mountain biking).

Rotorua had about five bike shops (small city) including one which was a repair only shop.

In Rotorua there was a advert in local paper promoting MTB fitness programs. That is loose weight by riding MTB organised program.
The impression I got was the tourists where likely to be American or Europeans rather than kiwi.

Andrew