Old 12-19-08, 11:47 AM
djwid
Raptobike Rider

Bikes: Raptobike Lowracer, Redline Conquest CX, Cruzbike Vendetta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My route is not flat. I do about 1400 ft of climbing on my commute, if I take the short route it is 700 ft of climbing. The trike will be slower, trikes are great and I love mine but I prefer my 2 wheels for speed.

Road space is a non-issue on the trike, people will give you tons of room. It also tracks straight as an arrow since you don't have to balance. So when you want to maintain a line, you will have no problems. It makes a difference in certain traffic/hilly conditions.

The trike can handle off-road and gravel/ice/snow much better, if you face those conditions regularly I would go with the trike. Otherwise go for the streetmachine.

The streetmachine is a nice vehicle, it fits in most bus bike racks, it has suspension and is a great ride. It can handle crappy road conditions well depending on your tire choices. If you have it outfitted with reasonable tires you will be able to do most things you want on it.

The starting/stopping and going up hills issue is easily handled by experience. There is a learning curve on recumbents. Additionally you want to make sure your suspension is the right tension for your weight to prevent uphill pogo. Both are fine rides.
2015 Cruzbike Vendetta
2009 Raptobike Lowracer #0067
My blog
My bike pictures