Old 12-22-08, 09:01 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Dropfoot and Cycling

To make a long story short, I had some severely damaged lumbar discs, back in the mid-1980s. They were mis-diagnosed, and I ended-up (prior-to and after) having surgery, with drop foot. The nerve damage is permanent, and I was left with a fully non-responsive left foot -- no muscle control to raise the foot or toes, when standing erect with feet flat on the floor; additionally, I have no feeling, or greatly diminished feeling, in my left toes and most of the foot. It's now 23 years later, and there's been no improvement.

My problem is pedaling. Specifically, positioning my foot correctly on the pedal, as well as keeping it there without slipping off. I'm riding a 1995 Cannondale M500 around town (Palm Springs, FL), going car-free at the end of January 2009. No plans for off-road or trail biking, but I do want to work my way up to 20-50 miles/day.

Any suggestions for a strategy geared (sorry) toward keeping me in the saddle and pedaling, without falling and/or tearing-up my left foot/shin?

TIA!

Jonathan